Role Players Creed
1. I will maintain the illusion of the game by staying in character whenever possible. I
will withhold out of character comments until absolutely necessary and even then I will
whisper or ICQ them to the other players.
2. If I discuss the game with other players out of character, I will not allow my
character to be influenced by this knowledge without express permission of the other
players. I will take the time to allow my character to learn these things on his or her
own during the course of the game.
3. I will separate myself as a player from my character as much as possible. While I
understand that a lot of myself goes into my character and because the game is so very
intense often real emotions will be drawn from me as a player, I also understand that my
character is not me.
4. If I am not in the mood to play, I won't interrupt other people's games by coming into
it out of character. I will find others who are not in character and go somewhere meant
for out of character discussion.
5. I will not use my character as a vehicle for racism or bigotry. I will not use my
character to promote child pornography or bestiality. I, as a player, understand that
there is no room in the real world for such things and will, to the best of my ability,
not let it seep into the virtual world as well.
6. If I, as a player, feel that my character has been treated unfairly or that another
character has overstepped the bounds of their abilities, I will approach the other
character's player privately and discuss the situation in a calm adult manner and try to
come to a resolution or compromise.
7. I will accept the hand that is dealt me in the game, understanding that it is a game
and it's not about winning or losing, but about playing.
8. I will not allow setbacks in the game to be blown out of proportion. If I am overly
emotional about what is happening, I will step back and not play until I can compose
9. I will not carry grudges against fellow players. My character might not like another
character, but again, I am an adult and understand that they are 'characters' and not the
player that portrays them.
10. If I find that I simply can not get along with another player, I will avoid playing
with them. But I will do so in a way that does not draw attention to this and I will not
badmouth or otherwise slander the other player as such actions only makes myself look bad.
11. If my character is killed, I will obviously grieve for the loss, but I will also view
the situation as an opportunity for me to grow as a player. By starting anew with a fresh
identity, I will be able to leave all the negatives of that character behind - any
grudges, dislikes or just plain bad habits- and take away the good, thus making my next
character even better and more interesting.
12. I, as a player, will keep an open mind and allow people to play their characters the
way their imagination leads them regardless if their interpretation matches that of some
book, guideline...or creed.
It has come to my attention that many people have found this creed meaningful enough to
wish to use it on their own websites. I have no problem with this, but please be sure to
give credit where credit is due and add "Written by Calista of ImagineChat. The
original document can be viewed here:http://www.imaginechat.com/creed.html" Thank
you. Note: In case you've seen this elsewhere listed as "Written by
Calista of Dark World By Night" or "Calista of Role Play Universe", I am
the original author and I was the originator of 'Dark World by Night" and "Role
Play Universe" where this creed I wrote first appeared.